If you get a copyright strike, it means that a copyright owner submitted a complete and valid legal takedown request for using their copyright-protected content. When we get this type of formal notification, we take down your video to comply with copyright law.
A video can only have one copyright strike at a time. Keep in mind that videos can be removed from the site for reasons other than copyright. Also, Content ID claims don't result in a strike.
Deleting a video with a strike won’t resolve your strike. Learn how to resolve a copyright strike below.
We all make mistakes. When you get a copyright strike, it acts as a warning. The first time you get a copyright strike, you’ll need to go through Copyright School. Copyright School helps creators understand copyright and how it’s enforced at YouTube.
Copyright strikes may affect your ability to monetize. In addition, if your active live stream is removed for copyright, your access to live streaming will be restricted for 7 days.
If you get 3 copyright strikes:
- Your account, along with any associated channels, is subject to termination.
- All the videos uploaded to your account will be removed.
- You can't create new channels.
- Sign in to YouTube Studio.
- From the left menu, click Content .
- Click the filter bar Copyright.
- In the Restrictions column, hover over Copyright.
- Click SEE DETAILS.
There are three ways to resolve a copyright strike:
- Wait for it to expire: Copyright strikes expire after 90 days. If it's your first strike, you'll need to complete Copyright School.
- Get a retraction: You can get in touch with the person who claimed your video and ask them to retract their claim of copyright infringement.
- Submit a counter notification: If you think your video was removed by mistake, or qualifies as fair use, you can submit a counter notification.
Watch to learn more
Check out the following video from the YouTube Creators channel to learn the basics of copyright strikes.
Copyright in YouTube Studio: Addressing Copyright Claims with New Tools, Filters and More